July 30, 2010

Knock Knock. Who's there? Carrot. Carrot who? Do you carrot all about me?


I was really pleased with my carrot crop this summer. It is so fun to pull a carrot out of the ground because each one is a different shape and size. It's like digging for treasure! You don't know what you're going to get until you pull it up. We grew more this year than last year, but I see that I am going to have to grow even more next year. After I trimmed, washed, peeled, sliced, and blanched the carrots, I saw that I had enough carrots for only 2 dinners. (four servings per dinner) After I blanched them and plunged them into ice water, I froze them in those reusable "Glad" containers that pre-packaged lunch meat comes in. Since I didn't grow enough this time around, I will pick up some carrots at the farmers market and freeze them as well. But next year.....look out baby! Carrot city! If that's the case, I really need to start canning!

Here is some very exclusive, newly released artwork, drawn by my children and me! Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment: