August 3, 2011

Buttermilk Falls, Homewood PA

Last weekend, I took my children on a hike to Buttermilk Falls, located in Homewood, PA. I had expected to take photos and maybe dip our feet in the cool water. Well! I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that we could swim in a beautiful, natural swimming hole at the base of the falls.


Long ago, the area was a stone quarry.


The height of the falls is a whopping 35 feet.


We weren't aware of Buttermilk Falls and were happy to learn it was just 25 minutes from our home...approximately 11 miles away. What a beautiful, natural sanctuary! A place to get away, cool off from the 90 degree temps, get back to nature and restore our soul!


We went on a Saturday and the kids talked me into going back again on Sunday!



<

My favorite part was swimming towards the falling water, looking up and getting closer and closer...it's just an incredible perspective.





You'll notice, I swam in my clothes. We weren't prepared with bathing suits, although we did bring a couple of towels in case we got just a little wet. Of course, with my permission, my boys kicked off their socks and shoes and jumped right in. At first I sat on a big rock and watched, but soon I could not resist! I just had to go in. I knew the ride home would be uncomfortable...but I knew it would be well worth it!! I have to say, we all had a blast. It was the most incredible experience I've had in a long time!

8 comments:

  1. That looks so inviting. Great photos. I felt better just reading the post and looking at the photos. You do such fun things with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun spur of the moment opportunity!! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! How much fun! It doesn't look like there were any other people around. That's what I would like. Was the water cold? I bet your boys got a kick out our you joining them! Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, This place looks wonderful and how splendid to have it only 11 miles away!

    On your last post... Amen, Sister! Good for you, and you are so right- one step at a time:) Looking forward to the new, old you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you are under that water fall i think you are re-enacting cocktail

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous. I love the name Buttermilk. SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day you must have had! I feel refreshed just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you go Bonnie! What a hoot all of you swimming in your clothes. Sometimes the most fun things are not necessarily planned. Thanks for sharing Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete